Job Posting: Assistant General Manager
The Montgomery County Revenue Authority (MCRA) has an opportunity to join a dynamic team! MCRA was created in 1957 as an instrumentality of Montgomery County and a public corporation. The MCRA has two primary functions, one is to operate self-supporting public facilities, and the other is to finance public facilities. On the operations side, the MCRA directly manages the Golf Course System (of 9 golf courses) and operates the Montgomery County Airpark.
MCRA’s Montgomery County Golf (MCG) division has an opening for an Assistant General Manager. The golf course location is TBD at one of our 9 courses and will be commensurate with experience and training needs.
The Assistant General Manager assists the General Manager (GM) with the day-to-day programs and operations of a multifunctional recreational facility that includes an 18-hole or more golf course with customer support, driving range, practice area, food & beverage (F&B)/snack bar, and pro shop management. This position typically involves assisting the GM with the design, implementation, and management of a wide variety of recreational, sporting, cultural, and revenue-generating programs serving the needs of golfers; including the responsibility of the total operation in the absence of the GM, program administration, budget management, and staff supervision. The Assistant GM’s daily operations exercise the use of independent judgment, problem solving, staff management and program operations. In addition, opportunities for golf instruction in the MCG Golf Academy may be available to Assistant GMs with a particular golf background. Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Establishing a strong report with management, team, and customers.
- Instructing and managing daily operations including but not limited to starter, cart, pro shop and F&B staff.
- May review and approve employee time sheets, leave requests and scheduling - establishing, supervising, and implementing effective work schedules.
- Carrying out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with MCRA policies and applicable laws.
- Training employees in applicable service work areas; plans daily/weekly assignments and directing work.
- Appraising performance by encouraging good work, coaching areas in need, rewarding great work and facilitates progressive disciplinary actions for employees who need additional support in correcting performance.
- Addressing complaints and resolving general problems while escalating non routine issues or concerns.
- Supervising and operating an effective tee time schedule in point of sale (POS) system.
- Coordinating and completing contracted group outings and events.
- Helping to supervise expenses and revenues with special focus and emphasis on driving revenue and controlling bottom-line expenditures. Utilizing the Metolius Golf system.
- Assisting in providing accurate monthly and annual budget submissions as the need arises and/or is requested.
- Maintaining and saving accurate financial records to assure compliance with audit and divisional needs.
- Providing a team management environment by coordinating weekly, monthly, and/or quarterly staff and safety meetings.
- Emphasizing the importance of MCRA Core Values and customer service with staff members to ensure patrons are greeted and treated in a pleasant and professional manner.
- Ensuring all print and electronic media like brochures, flyers, ads, sales/specials, and electronic posts are accurate, current, and posted.
- Assisting with inventory and ordering of pro shop merchandise and supplies.
- When scheduled to work, completing daily opening, closing and cash management.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proven interpersonal skills; ability to work well within a team environment and under pressure, adhering to frequent deadlines and juggling multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Knowledge of word processing software; spreadsheet software; inventory software; payroll systems; and internet software.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Must be able to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions.
MCRA is seeking qualified applicants who reflect and understand our CORE VALUES of a Genuine Smile, Do Anything Attitude and Deliver Excellence. MCRA is a fast-paced, high-energy organization with an ambitious agenda and staff that is highly motivated. Qualified applicants may possess any combination of education and experience enabling them to successfully perform the responsibilities of the position. Preferred qualifications are: Typically has 2+ years of professional golf or hospitality experience in a supervisory position. Must be able to functionally use MS Office Suite programs. Experience using LightSpeed POS, PayCom, Metolius, and/or 1-2-1 Marketing is a plus. Qualified candidates must also have excellent organizational and good verbal and written communication skills.